Bank of Bermuda Foundation Sir Henry Tucker University Scholarship
Donor: Bank of Bermuda Foundation
9 Bermudiana Road Hamilton HM 11 Bermuda Attn: Katrina Barclay (Tel 299-5306)
Bank of Bermuda Foundation has supported many different charitable organisations over the years. We are very proud to have been able to assist them. We are very pleased to support further education to Bermudians and offer up to 21 scholarships and bursaries annually.
By providing the Bank of Bermuda Foundation Sir Henry Tucker University Scholarship
and Education Grants, we can help ensure the future of our youth and the Island.
Sir Henry Tucker, K.B.E., J.P., joined Bank of Bermuda in 1934 as Secretary. Four years
later he became General Manager and served until 1969. Upon his retirement he was
elected Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors of The Bank of Bermuda Limited
(the Bank) and served in this capacity until 1985. Sir Henry was an elected member of
the House of Assembly from 1938 to 1948 and from 1953 to 1970. In 1964, he formed
the United Bermuda Party and was Government Leader until he stepped down in 1972.
Bank of Bermuda Foundation offers this Scholarship to young Bermudians to
encourage them to achieve their aspirations through the pursuit of higher education.
It is offered also as a tribute to Sir Henry Tucker who made a great contribution to
Bermuda and to the Bank throughout his distinguished career.
Application Guidelines and Conditions
1. The Bank of Bermuda Foundation Sir Henry Tucker University Scholarship is awarded annually. Its purpose is to provide financial support of $30,000 per annum over a period not exceeding four years to a student who is proceeding with undergraduate studies on a full time basis at a university outside Bermuda. The Scholarship is tenable at institutions of higher education approved by Bank of Bermuda Foundation.
2. The Scholarship funds are to be used to contribute to the costs of tuition, room and board at the place of study and to the cost of travel to and from the place of study.
3. There are also three Education Grants having a value of $8,000 per annum awarded to the three runners-up to the Scholarship also to be used to contribute to the cost of full time undergraduate education for a period of up to four years.
4. The Scholarship award and Education Grants will be made by the Scholarship Selection Committee.
5. The Scholarship Selection Committee will pay special regard to evidence of:
6. Winners of the Scholarship and Education Grants will be chosen on the basis of merit.
7. To be eligible for a Bank of Bermuda Foundation Sir Henry Tucker University Scholarship or Education Grant the candidate must:
8. The Scholarship Selection Committee may decline to award the Scholarship or Education Grants should it decide, in its discretion, that there is no suitable candidate.
9. The Scholarship Selection Committee reserves the right to withdraw the Scholarship or Education Grant if the selected applicant becomes involved in any activity which, in its opinion places the prestige of the Scholarship in jeopardy.
10. Continued receipt of the Scholarship is dependent on the scholar maintaining a G.P.A. of 3.0. (B) or better.
11. The Scholarship and Grant winners shall keep the Scholarship Selection Committee informed of their progress by timely submission of grades/transcripts as issued and other written reports. Failure to comply may lead to suspension or forfeiture of the Scholarship or Grant.
12. Applicants accepting the Bank of Bermuda Foundation Sir Henry Tucker University Scholarship will be required to decline or renounce, as the case may be, any other award made locally for the duration of the Scholarship.
13. Education Grant winners may accept one other scholarship or award made locally.
This scholarship is not currently accepting applications.